Last week I shared my testimony of Christ’s life-changing power. After sharing your testimony the next step in the personal evangelism strategy from my book “Always Be Ready to Give an Answer! ” is called “Closure.” This week I learned another way to achieve closure at a CBMC program. Pastor Decherd Stevens from Carlisle Reformed Presbyterian Church shared “A bare bones way to present the Gospel, simple, but full-orbed and Biblical.”
1) You want to show a person’s sinful condition, and need of Christ – You have a bad heart, a bad record & a bad life.
- You have a bad HEART – Called in Scripture: deceitful, wicked, dead and unable to do anything good. Jeremiah 17:9, Ephesians 2:1-3, John 6:44
- You have a bad RECORD – You have sinned and are guilty: and therefore stand condemned (to death) before God. Romans 3:10-11, 6:23, John 3:36
- You have a bad LIFE – You continue to do those things that are displeasing to God and cannot do those things, which please him. Isaiah 64:6, Romans 8:7-8
2) You want to show the only way to hope, and salvation is by faith in Christ – You need a new heart, a new record & a new life.
- You need a new HEART – You must be born again (John 3:3), made alive (Ephesians 2:1), need to be made a new creature (Corinthians 5:17). But there is a problem; you can’t do that (Jeremiah 13:23). What do you do? Well, only God can change the heart (Ezekiel 36:26). You cry out to Jesus in faith and repentance (Ephesians 2:8). You’re in prison, and ONLY God has the key.
- You need a new RECORD – You need to be cleansed of past sins, & you can’t do that either, but God can & will if you ask Him: Isaiah 53:6, 1 John 1:9, Hebrews 10:16f, Romans 5:1
- You need a new LIFE – You need more than forgiveness, you need holiness (Hebrews 12:14). Your whole life needs to change; you need to start hating evil and loving what is good. You need to put off the old man and put on the new. All of these can only be done by the power of God. How does it happen? Ezekiel 36:27, Romans 8:13, 2Corinthians 5:21, 1 John 2:4
The Gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:3 “For I delivered to you…: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures…”
Learn how to start a conversation, by asking good questions. Study Biblical examples: Jesus, give me a drink…: Philip, Do you understand…: Peter, this is what Joel said.
In many US places, everybody thinks they are Christian, so I ask questions like: Are you a Christian? Do you have a church home? Has anyone shared the gospel with you? Do you sense that the Lord is working in your heart? Do you have any desire for God to take away your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh? Would you like to ask him to change you right now?
ANSWERS For “The Hope That Is In You.” contains answers to more than 100 questions skeptics use to try to stump Christians. Charlie’s third book, “Without 3 Miracles Darwin’s DEAD!” will be published in June. Books are available http://yourchristiananswers.com and http://w3mdarwinsdead.com
To get Charlie’s weekly blog go to https://charlieliebert.blog
To get video, answers to your questions go to http://www.sixdaycreation.com
Contact Charlie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-337-4975 (call or text).