Blood, Science, and Truth, Part 1

thIn these next few BLOGS I am dealing with the nature of blood, and it’s portrayal of Spiritual Truth. Blood in Scripture is the source of life: “the life of the flesh is in the blood.” In Israel, blood sacrifices were used to atone for sin and in rites of purification, and finally, the blood of Christ brings everlasting life to those that believe. Today we’ll look at the science of blood. In subsequent weeks we’ll apply this to Spiritual truth.

The three-fold nature of blood is: 1) plasma (water), 2) red cells (the bearers of life) and the 3) Immune or protection system (clotting agents and immune system components of blood).   There are about 5 ½ quarts (about a gallon and a third) of blood in an average person.

Plasma is 55% of the blood (about 3 quarts). The remaining 45% is the cellular portion (red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells, platelets, and other cells). In one milliliter of blood (a medium sized drop) in men there are 5.2 million RBCs, 87,000 WBC, and 350,000 platelets and in women, there are 4.2 million RBCs, 70,000 WBC, and 280.000 platelets. For every 600 RBCs, there is one white blood cell and 40 platelets. Every red blood cell contains 400-500 million molecules of hemoglobin that carries oxygen to the body cells. Each molecule of hemoglobin transports eight molecules of oxygen. So every red blood cell contains 1 ½ to 2 billion oxygen molecules. That’s a total of1012 oxygen molecules in my body at any given moment. My mind boggles!!! If you took all of the blood vessels out of an average child and laid them out on a line, the line would be over 60,000 miles long! An adult’s vessels would be closer to 100,000 miles long!

The circular flow of blood in the body.

1) Oxygen-poor blood, blue in color, flows from the body into the right atrium.

2) Blood flows from the right atrium into the right ventricle.

3) The right ventricle pumps the blood to the lungs, through the pulmonary artery where the blood releases waste gasses and picks up oxygen.

4 ) The newly oxygen-rich blood, now red in color returns to the heart through the pulmonary vein and enters the left atrium.

5) Blood flows from the left atrium into the left ventricle.

6) The left ventricle pumps the oxygen-rich blood, through the Aorta, to all parts of the body including the little toe.

7) The blood moves through the arterial system to narrower and narrower arteries until it enters a capillary where the RBCs line up in single file.

8) The capillaries near every cell exchange the oxygen for carbon dioxide and other waste gasses. The blood turns from red to blue as it looses the oxygen.

9) The blood now heads back to the heart through ever broadening veins until it reaches the right atrium, where it started.

AND, This all happens in about a minute.

Charlie is the author of “Always Be Ready to Give an Answer!” which develops an evangelism strategy that gets to the Gospel every time you witness. His second book ANSWERS For “The Hope That Is In You.” contains answers to more than 100 questions skeptics use to try to stump Christians. My third book, “Without 3 Miracles Darwin’s DEAD!” is currently in the final editing process and will be published later this year. http://yourchristiananswers.com

To get my weekly blog “like” my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Charlie-Liebert-1603534356575541/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

To get video, answers to questions go to http://www.sixdaycreation.com

Contact Charlie at Charlie@sixdaycreation.com or 336-337-4975 (call or text).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s